Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Glass is Half Full

I am very proud of myself. I don't mean this to sound incredibly conceited but I am just happy that my rhythm seems to be returning. My mental rhythm, that is. Yes, I know, this sounds a little odd. But, my creative rhythm has been a little topsy turvy as of late and it is finally coming around. I've been writing seriously everyday now for the past two weeks. My notebook is full of plot notes and character sketches, just waiting to be woven into a coherent narrative. It's exciting because for the longest time, I felt stuck. Just stagnant. It's very unpleasant to sit in unmoving air, so when the breeze suddenly comes along, albeit a small one, it makes me feel incredibly encouraged. After completing Meyer's books, I got a sudden boost of energy and inspiration. Her fluid prose just made me want to experiment with my own. The obvious passion for words that Meyer demonstrates in her novels lit a fire of excitement under me. Again, it's still slow, but I don't mind so much, because I know that my creative energy didn't fade away into nothingness. It just needs to be coaxed from it's hibernation, it's hiding place. Just like we never truly forget how to ride a bike, my creative muscles have memory of when words flowed onto the page with such ease. All I need to do is tap into those muscles, remind them of their abilities and have patience. I see inspiration everywhere. Images, words and conversations jump out at me like they used to. Not that they ever stopped, but they offered something different, more meticulous, more methodological. Finally, the carefree randomness of creativity has returned.

No comments: