Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Art of Peace

I've always wanted to learn how to meditate. I've done Yoga and Pilates, which helps. The closest I've come to finding that bridge to mental silence is when I run. But, I think that reading comes in at a very close second. For the past week, I have been submerged in language, reading incessantly. (The books were highly addictive and virtually impossible to put down.) When I read, my thoughts rest, stop wishing, wanting and complaining. Instead, I was in the moment of each word as I read them, soaking in the narrative and emotions that they conveyed. Time slipped by when I wasn't looking and before I knew it, half the night had passed without a moment of frustration. I went to sleep, physically and mentally tired, but not leaping forward to the next morning. Focusing on my breathing and the weight of my head on the pillow was all I needed to do before I could feel myself drifting off. Considering I have a bad habit of putting the cart before the horse on many occasions, I was happy that I'd made this step.

Learning to empty one's mind of thoughts is a tough task. My mind often produces more thoughts and anxiety than I need or want. Those moments of lightness are what I hope to understand and, ultimately, learn how to control. Right now, it is not easy. It takes a great deal of concentration but it's worth the peace it gives me, if only momentarily.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by. I love this post of yours. I adore reading. I am a teacher, so during the school year it is really hard for me to read as much as I like, but over the summer I read A LOT of books. Enough that my friends tease me like "oh, you mean you didn't read an an entire book today?" I love the release and peace of reading and I've never really put it in the perspective you have here: but I totally agree. It feels exactly like that. I'm so glad I came by. Nice to meet you.

Zom said...

Another way to approach meditation is what Buddhists call mindful meditation. Mindfulness consists more of watching one's thoughts as if they are clouds passing. Not getting caught up in them. It gets easier with practice and can be used at other times as well as during meditation.

For me it has always been more realistic than trying to reach a state of not thinking.