Monday, July 21, 2008

WANTED: Creative Career

Well, I am eating a yummy smoothie right now. It's full of raspberries, blueberries and pom juice, one banana and some ice. Highly addictive. I suggest you give it a whirl.



Now, if you find yourself walking through your local bookstore with only a vague idea of what you are looking for, allow me to make a few suggestions. These are some novels I found particularly interesting, and I thought that you might feel the same way too.



The Night Ferry by Robotham

This is a mystery novel set in London and Amsterdam. The writer is quite clever, a male writing from the perspective of a very quick witted Sikh female police detective. His story is very grand, and explores many twenty first issues we've all heard about on various news programs such as prostitution and human trafficking. His writing is comedic yet dark, effective yet vague. A linguistic chameleon, so to speak.



The Way of the Whore by Tamara Faith Berger

A novel unlike any other. I can't even describe it. The main character Mira is disturbing, intelligent, beautiful, and scary. It unleashes a literary discussion of various women's sexuality issues in a way that no other author would even dream of attempting. Gritty, uncomfortable, and outright paranoid but extremely relevant for any woman, regardless.



In the Cut by S. Moore

Do not be turned off of this novel because Meg Ryan played the main character in the film. It is very well written, socially observant, and daring. Yes, I agree that she was not the right choice for the part but the role can be seen in two very interesting lights: the film version and the novel. Each have a different yet bold ending.



What I am reading now: The Night Watch

Critics have called it Harry Potter, Russian Style, but I am finding the translation difficult to follow. The sentences are a little choppy and I have a feeling that it would sound better in its
original Russian, a language I would love to learn if I had the additional time. However, the concept is very fun and creative. I feel as though I have travelled to Russia every time I finish a chapter. I am only a few chapters in, and it took some time to get into the text's rhythm, but it has potential.



Anyhoo, on a completely random note, I am beginning to discover that it is very difficult to find a creative career (or any job for that matter). I have often toyed with parlaying my artistic tendencies into a career, a business of my very own. It really is about time. The Nike phrase, JUST DO IT comes to mind. It is only a matter of pooling my resources but I think it is entirely doable.

No comments: