Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Funny Face

Although it is difficult to maintain a certain degree of positivity when one is experiencing difficult times, I never have any trouble when my doggie is keeping me company. When I'm reading, she's at my feet, her little paws curled around my toes. She follows me when I walk around my apartment, to my room, to the kitchen, to the living room, always curious: what is she doing now. Even though I come home after the longest, most tediously agravating day I've ever experienced, she always does a special happy "dance" to welcome me home (which usually consists of tail wagging, jumping up and down from the couch, and smiley face panting). Her ears are so soft and her still-young puppy coat smells so fresh. Whenever she wants to play, she'll toss her ball at my feet and stare at me with happy eyes beckoning me to throw it for her.
Awww... how can I refuse?
I came to the conclusion that I was meant to find her.
I remember when I first saw her, she was a scrawny little black tuft of fur but she made direct eye contact with me and licked my chin the first time I held her. She trusts me to take care of her and keep her safe. She respects my space (most of the time--she's only 18 months), and I respect hers. When she lies on the floor, her two back legs shoot out behind her; she's part frog, it seems. Oh, and part otter and part ferret. I call her Funny Face, or my Big Funny because she's always full of energy and life, ready to play at ANY time of the day. (Midnight, three o'clock in the morning or in the afternoon-- it doesn't matter to her. Fun is fun is fun.)

Animals are so intuitive. I'm amazed by her brilliance everyday. Even though this past year and a half has been difficult and tiring, I come home to her every night. She puts a smile on my face and, I hope, I put a smile on hers... well, her tongue sticks out and it LOOKS like a smile.

2 comments:

sMacThoughts said...

The joy of a dog. I absolutely love animals and am quite disturbed by any who treat them any way less than with love. You are so lucky to have a doggie. My work schedule does not permit me to do so, but there is always hope for the future!

nollyposh said...

Puppy LoVe is unconditional X:-)