Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Parts of Vancouver We Do Not See

Here are some videos I found on Youtube. They are very interesting and insightful windows into a part of Canada we rarely see. As a Canadian, I was shocked to see the 4Real episode featuring this city and the serious affordable housing issues it is facing. I'm a little ashamed to say that MTV, and not the newspapers, was my source of information. Why is this issue not spoken of more often? There are several videos on Youtube featuring one part of Vancouver in particular, where it seems to be the most crippling : Hastings Street.



(Posted by "bipolarex")




(Posted by "celistin")





(Posted by "pumpkinheadbc")

This last one is particularly frustrating. Elections are taking place on both sides of the border, and I think this is an issue to keep in mind when you vote. Vancouver is certainly not the only place experiencing poverty. Both Canada and the US have some serious problems to fix. I am not usually one to talk about politics, because we end up going in circles most of the time and it just feels futile, but I am trying to take an active interest in who I am voting for and the issues that his/her party represents.

I encourage you to do the same.

2 comments:

sMacThoughts said...

Makes me grateful for what I have, and wish I could make a difference for even one person.

happygirl? said...

I know what you mean... I try to remember that my glass is half FULL... and help as much as I can.